Open Book/Open Mind Series: Leslie Bennetts on Joan Rivers
Last Girl Before Freeway: Leslie Bennetts in Conversation with Mary Alice Williams on the Life, Loves, and Liberation of Joan Rivers
Two brilliant feminist journalists discuss the life of Joan Rivers, who smashed innumerable barriers for women in show business, even as she herself remained a prisoner of the sexist values of her youth. Joan Rivers life, rife with contradiction, is the subject of Leslie Bennett’s new biography, Last Girl Before Freeway. Rivers, the first ,female, late-night TV host, thought a woman’s happiness depended on having a husband, but hers destroyed her career. She believed that beauty and youth were crucial to women’s success, and yet she built a billion-dollar company in her 60’s and 70’s.
Leslie Bennetts is the author of the national bestseller The Feminine Mistake as well as a longtime Vanity Fair writer and former New York Times reporter. Montclair native Mary Alice Williams is an accomplished broadcast journalist who was anchor of NBC’s Weekend Today in New York and Vice President of the News Division of CNN. She’s currently anchor of NJTV news. Bennetts will sign books after the talk.
Limited number of seats by reservation.
Remaining seats first come, first served.
Sponsored by Susan & Thomas Dunn. Books Available from Watchung Booksellers.
Become a Montclair Library Friend!
The Montclair Library Friends is an organization created to raise awareness of and expand the services and programs of the Montclair Public Library — Main Library, Bellevue Avenue Library, and the virtual library — advocate for MPL, and manage volunteer programs.
With your support and voice, The Montclair Library Friends will:
- Enhance community awareness of our Library and services.
- Help to expand library outreach and services throughout Montclair.
- Provide volunteer services through our Library Ambassadors program.
- Advocate for the library.
- Sustain the Montclair Public Library as the vital center of the community.
Join the Montclair Library Friends for an annual $10 fee and receive membership benefits:
- Subscription to the Friends newsletter.
- Attendance and voting privileges at Montclair Library Friends meetings.
- Opportunities to join committees and participate in the volunteer program.
- An even better library!
There are 2 ways to join:
- To register now and pay online with a credit card, please press this link. Credit Card Registration
- To register and pay by check or cash, please print and complete the paper form and submit it by mail or in person. Paper Form Registration
In addition, registration forms are available at the Main and Bellevue Avenue Library